chill wrote:
> John
>
> I can't tell if you're just being mischievous, but if not, are you
> seriously suggesting that the mere presence of a powered-up computer in
> the same house as the hifi will have an audible effect?  That's a bit of
> a blow for the whole computer-based audio industry.  But moreover, and
> returning to the OPs point I suppose, are you suggesting that the
> changes in EMI and mains noise between a computer that's running
> Fidelizer and one that's not will be audible?
>
> I realise that your post is describing a theoretical possibility only
> (hence the capitalised 'COULD'), but what is the likelihood of these
> effects being audible in the real world? How bad would your components
> have to be for such minuscule things to have an impact?  IMO, the
> plug-pull test is already convincing enough.

I'm being serious. A computer sitting on the same shelf as your stereo
system can have a significant affect on said stereo system from airborne
EMI and noise on the power line. If it's three rooms away the effects
will be much less.  This thread never specified any geometrical
arrangement of the components. I know several people who have tried to
use their laptop to control an SB, the  laptop was across the room from
the stereo, they could hear noise on the stero system when they moved
the mouse on the laptop. What is going on inside the computer can have
an affect on the sound without changing bits.

I did some tests on this quite a few years ago testing a bunch of desk
tops, laptops, small things such as Mac mini's, embedded devices  like
FitPCs etc. I did this with my stereo system, and with a few friend's
systems. In all these tests it was a computer in the listening room, but
NOT right next to the stereo system, usually across the room. Note that
the computers being testsed had nothing to do with the audio. The stereo
was being fed by  an SB conected by wire to a server a long ways  away.
The computers under test were just doing things like web broswsing etc.

The worst by FAR were the laptops, almost everyone was audible in some
way, either directly emitting sound (through  the stereo) or changing
audio that was playing. Desk tops fared quite a bit better, either not
audible at  all or not as much affect. Small general purpose computers
such as Mac minis did a little better, but still could  be heard under
some situations, embedded devices such as a FitPC were inaudible no
matter what we had them doing.

The method of "contamination" from the laptops seemed to EMI, they did
just as bad when run off batteries. We tried wrapping one in aluminum
foil (kind of hard to use in that state!) and it's affect went way down.
Whether  the screen  was up or down also had a significant affect.

So yes computers CAN affect sound quality, and something which is
changing the underlying behavior of said computer could very  well
change it's impact on sound quality.

I have no  knowledge about  the program in question here so I'm not
making any comment about it, I was primarily refering to the use of the
"pull the ethernet cable" test as being definitive, if the server
computer is still running there is the possibility that it can still be
affecting the  sound quality through means other than direct connection
to the  SB.

John S.