Wombat wrote:
> Am i right that between your DAC and amplifier you use a Cary Audio
> SLP-05 with Tube?

Yes.  I had the SLP-98 tube pre before (now in storage) and the SLP-05
tube pre, fully balanced and with tube power supply, does live up to its
world class reputation.  So my system is all Cary electronics with Focal
speakers.  Each are known to be very fast and transparent and provide a
high level of overall resolution.  I do place the speakers at the thirds
and keep the sweet spot off of the rear wall.  I also have DIY cylinder
bass traps (9" and 16") and Richard Gray AC conditioner.  I've found
that having components at roughly the same performance level with a
proper set-up leads to quite an impressive "hi-end" experience,
particularly with well mastered source material.  It is very easy to
hear deep into a recording at low volume (inner detail, low noise floor,
etc).  Again, I was shocked upon upgrading from the Transporter analog
outs to the Cary's.  It was several days and many hours of listening
until I was able to associate the level of sound quality with my own
system.  This is why I don't mind pushing members toward pricey CD
players.  They are worth it.