These are your favorite red herrings, Ralph.  There is PLENTY of bs on
the fringes of ANY hobby.  There can be no argument made for cables
costing the same as a small compact car.  And so far, no one here is
suggesting that.

Back to S/PDIF.  It has shortcomings.  We can try to get into PLL if
necessary, but I thought that the mysteries of barely measurable jitter
and our ability to hear it were generally accepted.  Much progress has
been made in the past decade and much more is understood.  There is no
rational argument or evidence of any kind that S/PDIF (in a
source-outboard DAC set up) will rival the sound quality of the same DAC
in a single box unit.  This debate is over and it isn't a bunch of
shysters trying to fool us.  Frankly, the characterization of business
in general within this thread is rather sad.