I make no apology for my bout of sarcasm. There are times when it is
broadly deserved.

RonM makes some excellent, well grounded observations about the nature
of human perception and behavior.

The primary problem in the high-end audio world is the consistency with
which devotees treat their personal perception as some sort of
scientific absolute. I just find it incredibly ironic that the
self-described subjectivists never seem to consider that what they hear
may be influenced by some subconscious aspect that has nothing to do
with the sound waves impinging on their eardrums. That thought seems an
impossibility to them.

It is perfectly OK that each of us has our own response to the gear we
encounter. Sometimes that is due to real differences in the signal that
makes it to our ear and other times it is simply a product of our
subconscious. However, it is just odd that the group of listeners who
value personal perception above everything are the ones loathe to admit
that their imagination or subconscious may have played a role.

While I consider myself an objectivist, I know that I'm the biggest
variable in my system. I buy gear that pleases me but have no urge to
come up with elaborate "scientific" theories to justify my choice.