cliveb wrote:
> Right. Why is it that "golden eared" audiophiles seem to feel that being
> subject to expectation bias is some kind of character flaw? Don't they
> realise that by insisting they are immune to these influences, they are
> declaring themselves to be freaks?

I would add that limiting to only "expectation bias" narrows the
phenomenon too much. We don't have to consciously "expect" a certain
result in order for our judgement to be affected. Many of those
influences take place at a deeply subconscious level. The listener's
belief in the reality of their experience is strong precisely because
their preference is buried so far down that it can't be separately
identified.