Mnyb wrote:
> Thanks for this measurements series a lot of real work done .
>
> 4. Urgh , very fine recording but you tikled another toe here , the
> intrisinic resolution of the old recordings are less than any modern
> format you chose to present them in . Even if it's fantastic sounding
> with fantastic music the noise levels and frequency response are such
> that it can be completely coded by any format from 16/44.1 and upward.
> The delivery format is never the limit nowadays .

I have heard 16bit/44.1Khz that is as good as any other high-resolution.
I think it all depends on the mic'ing techniques and the equipment used
to record. To actually, compare low vs hi-res it is always good to
downsample the high-res to low-res and then compare (instead of using a
different low res recording). Usually, the high-res recordings are made
with more care, better equipment and that is where the improvement comes
from usually (my opinion). Quite likely beyond 24bit/48Khz there is any
improvement. If at all there is, it is probably due to implementation
reasons (the high-res bits taking a different path in the system than
the low res) vs actual improvement from real resolution changes.