Archimago wrote:
> Absolutely agree that one should try it oneself and make your own
> decisions. However, I would be cautious as to what "sounds better". As
> my MP3 test I think has shown, what may sound better to some does not
> mean it's "accurate" - same applies to the equipment itself. (There's
> obviously a bigger philosophical discussion around this.)
>
> As for the E1. All tests were done with the "asymmetric upsampling"
> defeated. There's a button on the front to disable the SHARC processor
> inside doing the upsampling and I have noticed some anomalies with it so
> I never use it. I also notice some mild increase in noise floor with the
> DSP activated on the measurements.

I have not seen your mp3 tests. But I myself prefer to listen to some
mp3's, especially with headphones, because it acts like the 'contrast'
control in TVs. But in my main system, you can tell the images are
messed up/all over the place. The reference for me is live music and I
also like to know how the recording was mic'ed. Recordings from
Waterlily Acoustics are good for these kind of critical listening.

"asymmetric upsampling"  ? I thought the E1 had "symmetric upsampling".
I did not like the ASRC in my Behringer SRC2496 either. The instruments
seem to get 'softer'.