tpaxadpom wrote:
> Ok I have measured transporter and touch on AP2722. I've only looked at
> digital out as promised.
>
> Here is the run down:
> Transporter:
> AES/EBU 377.3-424.5 ps
> SPDIF RCA 566 ps
> SPDIF BNC 283-330.2 ps (rca cable with 2 bnc adapters yielded the same
> results)
> Toslink 1.462 - 4.103 ps depending on the cable used. I've tested 4 or 5
> different toslink cables.
>
> Touch:
> SPDIF RCA 377.3 - 324.5 ps
> Toslink 1.604 ps
>
> I can upload the screenshots if it matters.

Last night was I thinking (I know I shouldn't think because it only
causes trouble) about the above jitter measurements and I was wondering
what, if any, jitter is present when streaming audio, either via WiFi or
Ethernet, and using the Touch's or the Transporter's internal DAC? And
if jitter is the big, bad bogey man that the audiophile world is
presently all a-jitter about then why isn't the streaming method of
transmitting digital audio data to a DAC, as used in the Squeezebox
devices and the Linn DS series (I believe), being adapted as the state
of the art standard and not the asynchronous USB interface?

I still maintain that the current anti-jitter craze stems from the lousy
jitter characteristics of the standard USB 2.0 interface when used to
transmit digital audio data and has now been expanded to encompass other
methods of digital audio transmission, e.g. SPDIF, Toslink, etc., which
in the past were never considered to be problematic with respect to
jitter.