jh901 wrote:
> Isn't odd that some you treat the "audiophile" label with such hate.
> Good grief.  There are aficionados of wine, food, cigars and much else
> which is ok somehow, but the hate you guys have for those passionate
> about reproduced sound is staggering.

I don't think we have anything against being passionate about reproduced
sound - in fact, I don't think we would be here if we weren't quite a
bit passionate about reproducing music.

What we are against is the superstition, voodoo and pseudoscience
trumpeted as "truth" in audiophile circles. I, for one, am just as
strongly against  superstition, voodoo and pseudoscience in other areas
of life.

Amplifiers, dacs, and speakers are designed by engineers, applying
results of scientific research, using sound and established engineering
knowledge. They are not "designed" by mad inventors throwing audiophile
capacitors in the air and watching where they land, and then swapping
them in and out randomly until it sounds good.

I think 'this page' (http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Audiophile) summarizes
the issues pretty well.

> As for Magico, their speakers are very, very expensive but there is a
> ton of R&D and great deal spent on parts/manufacturing.

But most of that R&D is not unique to Magico - all major manufacturers
do extensive R&D, and a lot of the fundamental research (that is also
done at universities and government-sponsored research facilities) is
shared in the research and engineering community. Spending money on
parts and manufacturing might or might not bring sonic benefits - if it
is spent on exotic but inefficient manufacturing tecniques, it is mostly
wasted.