I agree with those points about psychology.

Of course it still leaves us with the issue of deciding whether X is
better than Y.

If X and Y are line level equipment I use measurement data. Full stop.

The other issue is X AUDIBLY better than Y. This can only be answered
reliably by blind listening. (Sighted listening can also answer this ...
just not reliably in my view.)

It's impractical to A/B speakers blind; a lot of speaker performance is
contingent on the listening space and position within it; and speakers
are difficult to characterise entirely with measurements. This means
speakers are probably always going to be a somewhat subjective purchase:
pot luck from a psychological point of view!
Darren

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2