garym wrote:
> good perceptual codecs (lame mp3 and AAC for example) were designed to
> throw away the info you can't hear (that's why these are
> "perceptual"...throw out the content that human beings can't hear
> anyhow). Don't feel bad, this is the way it is supposed to be! Very few
> people can pass an ABX test on high bit rate lossy vs lossless, except
> with problem samples.

And actually good hearing makes it harder ? The perceptual masking parts
of the codec relies on does not work properly in some case of damaged
hearing .

Funny enough really badly produced music with tons of dynamic processing
can actually stress the codec more , the scientist that designed these
codec was thinking about " natural " music when doing it , orchestral
work with a lot of ambience code well.

Also , some mp3 decoders are not 100% perfect the ones you use on a
computer is the bests especially if it is lame .
Mathematical compromises in portable players and actually squeezeboxes
,can produce artefacts in rare cases .
If you have a lot of high quality stuff in 320kBps mp3 it migth be a
precaution to let the server handle it , note that I've heard this in
one or two tracks over the years , so server side decoding is just to
cure the "audiophilia nervosa" .
Lossy codecs actually uses more CPU and math to decode than lossles
codecs , and squeezeboxes do decode lossles formats bit perfect .