garym wrote:
> are you talking about the CD version (16bit) from the Stereo Box release
> (or the older CD version)
>
> and of course, the mastering could be different between the 16 and 24
> releases.  To compare the value of 16 and 24bit differences, one would
> need to downsample the 24bit track to 16/44.1 and compare that to the
> 24bit release (to control for differences in mastering).   (I apologize,
> I don't recall whether the 24/44.1 releases were different mastering
> jobs or not...but if they were....)

Not sure. According to the lore, the Apple crew went back to the
original master tapes, digitized them at the highest available bit
rate/resolution, and then cleaned the digitized format, effectively
removing pops and clicks and drops etc. Once that was accomplished, the
newly minted 24 bit/192 khz hi rez formats were used for rendering the
CDs and the 24 bit/44.1 khz FLACs. And I would assume the same masters
were used for dithering 320 kbps mp3s.

So in my mind, all three formats were cut from the same cloth, by the
process of dithering down from the original 24 bit/192 khz.

However, I could be dead wrong on this one.