netchord wrote:
> i don't understand this demand for "proof."  it's my system, my ears, my
> music- all i said was i can hear a difference, and it would not surprise
> me that others can as well (the dude referenced in the OP).  your
> position seems to be "it can't be so."  that's fine too.
>
> and as to this who've claimed that the difference is caused by a faulty
> piece of equipment, which piece of equipment in the following chain do
> you suppose is at fault?
>
> mac mini running squeezecenter
> 7.7.2-->ethernet-->Transporter-->Wireworld Eclipse Single Ended-->MF
> A5-->Ocos-->Vienna Acoustics Beethovens.
>
> two different file types enter the transporter, different music emerges.

No one demanded you provide proof. However, you are treating your own
perception under "sighted" conditions (i.e., that you have knowledge of
which format is being played at any point) as having some underlying
technical cause. To refer to your post from 4/22, you said "...when
computers are involved, hardware, software, codecs, connectivity all
have an effect."

In short, your a priori given is that any difference you hear must be
due to technical factors. You left zero room that the real cause might
have been the way your own brain processes things. Once again, we have a
subjectivist who leaves no allowance for subjective factors.

I've often been in the middle of a listening session when I've been
interrupted by a phone call. The pause button is hit, and a few or more
minutes go by, then I hit pause again to pick up where I left off. It is
not uncommon for the music to sound somehow different. Sometimes it
seems better -- more dynamic and engaging. Sometimes it doesn't sound as
good.

Now I could go looking for a technical explanation such as the electric
supply to my house has gotten quieter or noiser. Or perhaps the DAC or
buffer circuit has been affected somehow by the pause. However, the far
and away most likely explanation is that my own focus of attention has
changed due to the interruption.

The odds are excellent that the same thing is at work in your perception
of two different lossless file formats.