netchord wrote:
> perhaps you'd have a point if the results were random, meaning i
> randomly preferred one format over the other.  but that's not the case;
> I routinely prefer AIF over ALAC.  there are times when the differences
> are small, if any, but where there's an audible difference, the
> preference is ALWAYS for the non-compressed file.

You continue with the assumption that you are completely aware of all
possible subconscious bias factors that might be in play. Just because
something lies below your level of self-awareness (or mine) does not
mean it is random.

This effect has been shown over and over in psychological studies that
have looked at human perception. Audio is not an exception.