darrenyeats wrote:
> Well, I didn't say everything matters.

True. I was using the opportunity to take a swing at a typical
audiophile "truism".

> My point is, each thing that might REALLY, LOGICALLY reduce distortion
> isn't necessarily detectable in a blind test on its own. But a
> combination of such things might be.

I agree - but I guess that is why we in general design equipment so that
the measurable things are an order of magnitude better than what is
deemed audible - the exception being loudspeakers and vinyl gear, where
that is impossible or absurdly expensive. It is easy to make an amp that
has 0.01% distortion, a bandwidth of 100 kHz, and a SNR of 90 dB, but
rather hard to do that with a speaker or vinyl rig.