Not that i am interested in this to much but reading about this
"headroom" it must be something en vogue since the DAC2 arrived.

My brainfart makes only sense if you don´t already use your player with
digital volume control or you are afraid about normal digital volume
control.

My idea is to pad 16bit files wit zeroes to 24bit and shift the music
content from the upper bits '1->16' to bits '2->17'
This gives you full 6dB headroom and leaves all audio content intact
(only for 16bit stuff)

There you go, 16bit to 24bit, 1 bit softer:

sox input.wav -b 24 output.wav gain -6.020599913

Of course you can reverse everything with a positive value and make it
exactly 1 bit louder.

Me knows no math but 1 bit in dB equals:

20 x log10(2) = 6.020599913

>From -6.0205999 on SoX starts to shift the music around bit by bit! One
digit less and it calculates new values with no chance to reverse it
back to original.

For 24bit files you will loose the lowest bit, but this shouldn´t matter
at all.

You freaks may implement it over config.conf

I wonder about the SoX Team meanwhile. This becomes really impressive!!

I also wonder if that is old news or my reasoning is completely wrong
but don´t tell me playing with such silly things is not healthy. I know
that...
Any double-check or correction is welcome

P.S. If you have a silent recording that doesn´t need all bits, means
its peak level is at least 6.03 below maximum, this may be a nice way to
make it louder.