Chrobrego wrote:
> I don't buy the bit-perfect statement as a scientific fact. What about
> the timing in this reasoning? Should we also state that a cd should
> always sound the same in whatever hardware it is read only because it
> contains the same bits in both situations?
>
> The reality is instead that there IS a process difference between "AIFF
> to sound" and "ALAC to sound" chains. If the ALAC file was fully
> transformed to AIFF before it follows the same decoding then that would
> be a different story. But that is not the case with those systems which
> manage the transcoding in real-time.
>
> So the real question is if that results in audible difference or not.
> And I can believe that sometimes yes, sometimes not. And that may
> depends on persons ears as well. We need to respect each other views and
> differences, no need to have an ideological conflict there.
>
> BTW: I am using flac so don't categorize me as audiophile :-)

Let's not confuse what might or might not plausibly happen -after- a
losslessly compressed file is decompressed with the fact that the
compression/decompression itself is bit-perfect. I think you make this
point yourself when you say "If the ALAC file was fully transformed to
AIFF before it follows the same decoding then that would be a different
story.", but I just wanted to make it clear :)

However, I do still differ on the "real-time" question. There is always
buffering, so as long as your compressed file is being decoded fast
enough to fill the buffer with the PCM stream faster than the audio
output subsystem is counting out the bits to the DAC, there is no
logical difference between full decoding prior to playback, and what
might be called "just in time" decoding. If the just in time approach
fails, the playback system is seriously broken, and playback will simply
stop.

One way of thinking about this is as follows: we could play a track as
it is being decoded from FLAC, for example. Or we could decode one track
completely to an uncompressed file on disk, then play that -at the same
time as- decoding a second track to disk. What is the difference? The
audio output system cannot "know", still less "care", whether the bits
it hasn't yet received (and doesn't yet need) are part of the same, or a
different, track.

Of course, there might still be a possibility that the different
processing requirements of decoding various formats versus simply
reading an uncompressed PCM file into the audio buffer might upset the
audio stream to the DAC in some way. This might include jitter, or it
might involve electrical noise, not part of the digital stream, being
injected. Both have been postulated in many threads on this forum. But
this is where Archimago's previous reply comes in - even if it is
happening, can we measure it?, and can we hear it?

I would agree with Archimago that any such effects which approach
anything near audibility indicate a broken system, and that if their
audibility can be demonstrated through double blind testing, it is time
to examine the system, rather than agonise over which (if any) lossless
compression stream to use.