JerryS wrote:
> I don't want to turn this into an argument because I just don't know
> enough about it.  My point is that if the brain knows that A and B are
> different file types then it is going to be working pretty hard to
> detect audible differences.  If it finds such differences then it is
> easier to discern them in X because the brain now knows where to listen
> for them (different phrases, difference notes, different instruments
> etc).  If on the other hand the first two plays in triangle testing are
> from the same file, then the brain has not prelearnt the cues to pick up
> the differences on the third play.  It would not be surprising if the
> sensitivity and specificity of ABX and triangle testing are different
> because of this prelearning.
I think that "pre-learning" often takes place long before anyone sits
down to a particular ABX, triangle, or any other type of comparative
listening session. Indeed, there are people who consciously train
themselves to identify the differences in lossless versus lossy, and
even more casual comparative listeners learn to pick out certain
instruments that reveal differences. And it seems there are a few who
train themselves in identifying the differences between lossless and
lossless (misguided in my opinion, but that's just my opinion).

I don't see why having those cues about where the listener _thinks_ they
hear a difference between A and B is a bad thing at all. It most
certainly does not bias the test results. Keep in mind that often there
are differences that exist but that listeners cannot hear (see
Archimago's recent thread and blog on comparing lossless and lossy). If
they really can hear a difference, then that will be borne out in their
assignments of X to A or B.