JohnSwenson wrote:
> Let me see if I understand your first question. As long as the highest
> frequency of the audio data is small relative to the sample rate (say
> 40KHz maximum signal frequency for a 192 sample rate) you do not need
> much if any  filtering. There are going to be very little aliasing and
> its going to be above the audio range.  The big problem comes with 44.1
> where the audio data is right next to the aliases.

But then you've got all these high frequencies still in there on the
analog side. Isn't the biggest problem with the high frequencies that
power amps (especially ones filtering through intermediate frequencies
like "Class D" amps) tend to create artifacts if you have signal in
multiples of the audible range?

> By a complex filter I mean multiple filters cascaded together
> (especially different types of filters) rather than one filter (even if
> it has a large number of taps). All of the DAC chips with filters have
> at least three (some 4) different digital filters cascaded together.
> They do this because the individual filters can be a fairly small number
> of taps. To implement the same amount of alias suppression with a simple
> single filter would take a lot more hardware.
>
> Again I have no idea why the complex filters cause sonic issues, but it
> does seem like they do. Every time I have replaced a complex filter with
> a simple filter the resulting music sounds much better.

What kind of filters do they use? I do know that kind of stuff for
analog filters where both the reason for their use and the negative
impact are quite obvious.

But then... like for the windowed sinc filter you mentioned even digital
filters are not perfectly discrete if you need finite impulse response
and linear phase so it makes sense that they will also flatten the
frequencies within your filter/below your cutoff frequency.
But isn't that the same for your interpolation filter in sox? Of course,
the interpolation filter doesn't window so it keeps all the harmonics in
there (and creates some arbitrary new ones) but why is that better than
leaving the simple harmonics of the 44.1 kHz samples in?
What kind of filters does sox use?

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
*New: Logitech UE Smart Radio* as well as iPeng Party, the free
Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com