Hi there/John.

A lot of writing and reading.

I tried resampling with SOX and other (reference) tools as discussed at
Audio Asylum and elsewhere several times in the past.

http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.de/2011/04/tt-resampling.html

I never managed to get it working to my satisfaction. Neither realtime,
nor offline. The SQ was always worse then the original.
Maybe I missed something out.

Issues:

1. You need to attenuate the "digital" signal before you apply the
filters to avoid clipping.
2. Realtime SRC is causing higher load on the processor and higher
traffic on the entire path. That might translate into audible losses on
most of the systems out there.
3. Offline SRC is kind of inflexible, if you change your DAC devices
once in a while or if you feed different DACs at home. You always have
to keep copies of the originals and the resampled materials.
You might have a player which does offline SRC prior to playback and
caches a full track/CD on e.g. a ramdisk. But that's not possible in a
LMS environment.
4. No filter is lossless.
5. If you stay with 16bit you have to re-dither the already dithered
material. E.g. You can't do 16 bit to 24bit conversions on LMS if you
stream PCM. You need to re-encode PCM to flac again.

6. I've never seen somebody offering an to me acceptable sample rate
conversion setting.  -- John. Shoot. I'm listening.

To me SRC is a questionable workaround to cover the deficiency of rather
poor or inflexible HW (firmware + HW) implementations. If your HW
implementation is that bad, that SW SRC with all its issues as described
above (maybe more) sounds better than your HW SRC, I'd look for a better
HW.

Please let me know your favorite SOX settings.

Cheers

::: ' Touch Toolbox and more' (http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com) :::
by soundcheck