Julf wrote:
> That a hearing defect prevents something that makes assumptions about
> your hearing from working?

It is possible that my ability to discern MP3 from FLAC is because of a
hearing defect. In theory that really is a valid reason that makes
complete sense to me and when this assumption first came up I honestly
found it to be quite creative. Critical thinking is always good and you
can't take it too far. (Btw. could you please point me to the scientific
paper which intentionally included hearing impaired participants for a
data reduction test with music?)

But you can apply critical thinking in both ways. Let's take the proven
and known facts about auditory memory. According to those insights it is
not possible to remember sonic events for longer than a couple of
seconds. Fair enough, but what about emotional memory? Music has always
been and will always be about emotions (except maybe for minimal music).
What if you are able to remember a specific emotional state rather than
the sonics itself? It is proven that emotional experiences leave strong
traces in the brain. This is just hypothetically spoken, I don't want to
claim anything on that topic.

All people are removing cognitive dissonances with brain acrobatics the
same way that all humans are accessible to placebo effects. I do and you
do. Sometimes it is very hard to discern that from critical thinking.

But hey, I thanked you! Please read my initial post again.

Cheers

Living Room: Squeezelite -> WDM-KS/HDMI -> NAD M51 (Rowen Swiss Edition)
-> Rowen Absolute MONO -> Quad 22L
Sleeping Room: Radio