darrenyeats wrote:
> I also perceive a small difference between coax and TOSLINK S/PDIF from
> Touch into my Benchmark.

Interfaces may be very product/implementation specific it can be that
one is better .

There  is no reason to rank interfaces from best to worse as the
hardware and combinations of hardware differs so much ,so I no longer
believe in generalisation on what best. With another source another
input could be preferable .
John Swenson have argued this very well . And I do believe he's
technically correct .

I may disagree with John on the point that many subtle things are
directly audible , but they should be considered if you design a product
and they matter for the complete result .

However do try to an A/B comparison if possible . Yea it's not always
convient to setup I know it's a hobby after all.
The classical way to underestimate the power of perceptionall bias is to
find things so "obviusly better" that you don't need a controlled test
;) in that moment you prove two things . You don't get this bias/placebo
thing and you do really need a controlled test.

The expected result with all reasonable good digital interfaces is that
they should sound the same . One can be technically better and that one
should be used on its technical merit . I believe that things add up in
the end so it's still worthwhile .
But it's nothing to get OCD over .
You don't need another DAC because it does not have USB or DSD  .

In La la land , AES/EBU was the thing to have for a while , but it's
noting special about it ,made to fit studios and to be able to reuse XLR
conections ? Sean Adams who designed the transporter have made an
excellent post arguing that it can in many cases be worse than spdiff (
old post somewhere on the forum ).

I spend all the time I saved obsessing over quarks going the wrong way
in my cables , by listening to actual good music :)
Figuring I have far to many records only for thier good sound ( got the
T-shirt bla bla )

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4