Julf wrote:
> That rich, complex signal will consist of a sum of sine waves.

Yes Fourier was not wrong , every signal can be represted as a sum of
sines .

besides prioties :

*1. Do away with sigthed testing , estblished some kind of controlled
protocoll (ABX) .* (1b . You may not need extended bettter measurments
if something fails an ABX .)
1C also ABX against a reasonable standard , obviusly coulored stuff is
not hifi .

2. -Then- residual unresolved differences may need better measurment ( a
couple of percent % for electronics ) Spekaers may be beyond a magazine
to thoroughly measure  ,according to Harman it takes 70 different
measurments to fully characterise a speaker 8Sean Olive).

3. There is a very good test audiodiffmaker , you can compare a complete
song how complex do you want :) choose whatever music you please .

Difference test is really good , then you can actually adition the
leftovers seprately .

Then we have the stuff thats not meant to be transparent . it will fail
all the tests but a diff measurment could shead some ligth how that
components particular euphonics works .
Maybe even publish files for curius readers to download .
Some people want a certian tonality thats not neutral .
But it would be more honest to admit what it is and not invoke magic or
" the unknown " .

It has been proven many time that there really is no unknown .

TAS for example uses some kind of very contorded reasoning to avoid ABX
so that they can live in thier illusions (I do suspect they know but
like to keep thier readership in the cult )

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)