foxx wrote:
> Would someone enlighten me, please? What does 'null' mean in this
> context?
If you subtract one file from the other, you would expect them to cancel
out completely if identical. If they were identical down to the 16th
bit, you would expect the -difference- to be limited to a signal at 16th
bit level only ie nulling down to -90dB or so (the precise answer would
depend on the sort of dither used..

Actually someone whose judgment I trust has confirmed a null with the
harpsichord track down to -98dB. Anyway I was not wanting to encourage
cheating, I was simply wanting to warn Archimago that someone (on whose
judgment I had better not express an opinion) was alleging that there
was a problem with the downconversion.