Balanced outputs. Which you need if you want to drive good active
speakers (unless you live in an anechoic chamber) which in turn is what
you want to do these days, at least when you buy new ones.

You'd ned an external DAC for the Touch for that.

Apart from that it's really primarily the looks, it really looks cool.
And it has this incredible force-feedback knob that feels so cool to
use. At least it did that one time I have ever used it to try it out
because it's of course really uncomfortable to kneel down in front of my
Transporter to use a complex menu on a two-line display so I only
control it remotely.
And due to some unexplainable, huge UX fail that cool knob can't just do
volume, which would be hugely useful. If I could only ask for one single
change to they device... But I've filed that bug something like 6 years
ago, not going to happen.

I'd probably prefer the Touch with an external DAC today due to it's
better codec support but you have to keep in mind that the Transporter
is a much older product than the Touch.

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 7, the Universal App for iOS 7*