pippin wrote:
> I remember very well to have participated in a listening test 13 years
> ago in which nobody was able to tell apart 256 Kbps mp3 from a raw CD
> signal. I still have the demo files and on my current setup I _am_ able
> to tell apart at least some of the tracks - admittedly that doesn't mean
> I will then know which one is mp3 and which one is raw, but that, again,
> is a different story.
> But maybe my ears simply got worse over the years to a point where it's
> now easier to tell mp3 from the original music.

Quite possible - as we know, certain hearing loss patterns prevents the
normal masking effects. But mp3 encoders have also gotten better in 13
years...

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953