pablolie wrote:
> Well, it *depends* on what you mean. I fully agree that a bit-perfect
> digital signal doesn't get any better if you spend another $1k on
> esoteric USB and Ethernet cabling. But then again, you can screw things
> up even in the digital domain if you don't pay some attention to good
> quality connections, and some attention to detail never hurts. Ask any
> Data Center architect :-)
>
> And there is still the "A" in DAC that means not every DAC designed
> around SABRE or the next coolest chipset sounds the same. How you route
> the analog signal, how clean your power supply is... the analog basics
> are still there. It doesn't matter if you've upsampled to 128bits and
> 3.2GHz in the digital domain if you dirty up the analog back-end.
>
> So I agree with you statement if what you mean is that... never has it
> been easier for an audiophile to get bit-perfect source material and
> feed it into the analog rest of the chain. Which begins within the DAC
> itself.
>
> Personally I wouldn't set up a Transporter in my current listening
> environment even if I scored it for free. I don't have the room (and I
> am perfectly happy with what I have), but that said, anyone that happens
> to like the Transporter and is willing to pay its going rate, hey, they
> get a very good piece of gear; and value is in the eye of the beholder.
> We all have our pockets of irrationality that make us a tag happier. :-D

What you said is pretty much in agreement with my intention. In the case
of digital audio "players" (you will shortly see why players is in
quotes) there appear to be two basic kinds:

1) the kind that simply act as a sort of receiver and pass the digital
audio stream to an external DAC (all Squeezebox devices can function in
this manner).

2) the kind with a built in DAC (again all Squeezebox devices can also
function in this manner).

Many of the newer digital audio players currently flooding the market
from high end audio manufacturers fall into the first category and
unless they are doing something to the digital audio stream other than
passing through the digital audio stream unchanged to the DAC then they
should ALL sound the same. Which brings us to the reason why I keep on
stating that the high end audio world still clings to analog audio
beliefs in the digital audio world. Since all these so called high end
digital audio "players" are really only digital audio pass through
devices, i.e. devices that can extract the digital audio data from USB
drive, CD, SACD, DVD-Audio disc, a wi-fi or an Ethernet signal, etc. and
pass it to an external DAC, and since by definition these devices should
have no "sound" of their own then the only things justifying their high
prices are build quality (like those front panels milled from a billet
of solid aircraft grade aluminum), the quality of the manufacturer, (in
the case of Bryston's 20 year transferable warranty), feature set
(various connections, displays and supported formats) and useability. No
magic and no voodoo involved and no difference in sound quality other
then those duly reported in the subjective writing of the high end audio
press, those faithful lackeys of the high end audio manufacturers.

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos