jh901 wrote:
> Not on the internet where anonymity leads to incivility.  Anyone can
> masquerade as a subject matter expert.

Even worse, anybody can spout whatever silly opinion, and then shout
"you can not deny my subjective observations".

> Winning hearts and minds, discovery and curiosity are evils here, for
> example.

That's what you say, but anyone can say that. Do you have any examples
or evidence?

> This isn't an audiophile forum now if it ever was.

Indeed. And that is not a bad thing. As Ethan Winer observes - 'The
Trouble With Audio Forums is that they Can't Handle The Truth'
(http://ethanwiner.com/forums.htm)

> we are so fortunate to be in a golden era of hi-end gear.

No, we are in a golden era of great, affordable audio gear. That has
driven the "hi-end" to become a luxury goods market.

> it's accepted here that the industry which makes our hobby so rewarding
> are full of criminals and crazies.

No, because the industry that makes all this possible is not the
audiophile hi-end industry (that only puts standard circuits in fancy
boxes) but the electronics industry that produces the circuits, chips
and components that make affordable, high-quality products possible.

> The new Astell & Kern looks incredible.

Indeed, if looks is what you care about.

> The engineering on the inside is what will deliver great sound quality.

Exactly. Engineering. As practised by engineers (who design chips,
circuits and algorithms). Not "designers" who put the circuits in fancy,
"aerospace-grade" aluminium cases.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953