darrenyeats wrote:
> He doesn't have his speakers yet and I doubt more finesse than the 10db
> step is necessary. Plus, unlike the input setting, attenuators are not a
> free lunch (impedance).

We both agree that the attenuator probably isn't needed, but...

> I think attenuators should be used only if 4.8V is significantly too
> loud.

Indeed, but my concern was the theoretical possibility of not being loud
enough - because the Transporter, with a 3V output level, won't quite
reach full specified amplitude with the 4.8V input sensitivity setting.

So, the OP was almost right from the start:

Squeezed_Rotel wrote:

> So, given the Transporter level is 3 Vrms (balanced), I might be able to
> use the -10 dB setting without attenuation or the 0 dB setting with some
> line attenuation.

The -10 dB (4.8V) setting should be more than OK, and if that doesn't
give enough volume (rather unlikely), go for the 1.5V setting and avoid
the last 3 dB of volume control range.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953