ralphpnj wrote:

> Still another problem is the law of diminishing returns - a $200 amp may
> offer 95% of the performance of a $50,000 amp and a $5000 amp may offer
> 98% of the performance of a the same $50,000 amp. Often one has to
> decide if the huge increase in price justifies the small improvement in
> performance. Of course price is all too often not an issue for the high
> end reviewer who either get the equipment on a semi-permanent loan or a
> vastly reduced price. For the rest of us mere morals, price is very
> important.
>
> .

It's a little clearer. But still some questions:

(I'll say "better" here but I understand your point about "different"
and personal choice as to which is preferred) The $5k amp can sound
better than the $200 amp.  And the $50k amp may well sound better than
the $5k amp (am I correct in paraphrasing your comparison?).  But it's
not the solid aluminum faceplate that's responsible for the improvement,
it's something else that's responsible?

So it is possible to assemble a system for, say $10k (not counting in
speakers which I deduce is where you believe that spending more gets
better sound)  that is going to sound better than one for $500? Again,
given that all components in both systems are well engineered?

Thanks,
Jason