Wombat wrote:
> This all comes down to the magic filter in action. They can remove lots
> of data but the superfilter applied makes is better sounding as the real
> full bit version.
> They prepared the world lately together with the AES with placing a
> paper about the audibility of filters. The word will spread. You know
> this one i guess.

I'm thinking you mean this:
THE AUDIBILITY OF TYPICAL DIGITAL AUDIO FILTERS IN A HIGH-FIDELITY
PLAYBACK SYSTEM

-This paper describes listening tests investigating the audibility of
various filters applied in high-resolution wideband digital playback
systems. Discrimination between filtered and unfiltered signals was
compared directly in the same subjects using a double-blind
psychophysical test. Filter responses tested were representative of
anti-alias filters used in A/D (analog-to-digital) converters or
mastering processes. Further tests probed the audibility of 16-bit
quantization with or without a rectangular dither. Results suggest that
listeners are sensitive to the small signal alterations introduced by
these filters and quantization. Two main conclusions are offered: first,
there exist audible signals that cannot be encoded transparently by a
standard CD; and second, an audio chain used for such experiments must
be capable of high-fidelity reproduction.

Authors: Jackson, Helen M.; Capp, Michael D.; Stuart, J. Robert
Affiliation: Meridian Audio Ltd., Huntingdon, UK
AES Convention:137 (October 2014) Paper Number:9174 Import into BibTeX
Publication Date:October 8, 2014
Subject:Perception: Part 2 -

Indeed. It appears we need super filters :-)

Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective'
audiophile blog.