Wombat wrote:
> I have no idea if this helps. None if it guarantees good sound.
> My biggest problem with downloads in online shops today is how the
> 16/44.1 version is created from the HiBit version in the same shop. It
> is a gamble. When asking before buying you normaly get no answer.

True,
There is no way to ensure "good sound" just like DDD never meant better
sound than ADD in the 1980's.

However, it does put some mechanism in place to allow a simple
identification of provenance. The implicit statement being that HHH
music has been treated with care that the "flow" was through a recording
and audio engineering system capable of "greater than CD" resolution.
For the consumer, this provide an alert around releases like the Dylan
or bizarre releases like Beck's "Morning Phase" with what looks like MP3
compression (at best a "D" in the mix). And IMO, it allows a mechanism
for -accountability-.

Imagine if Qobuz and Columbia markets this Dylan album as "HHH". With
the objective evidence that this release really is no better in
resolution compared to the CD, they would clearly be in breach of
truthful advertising.

Unless there is some mechanism in place (even to a small degree), the
"high resolution download" domain I suspect will remain mired in doubt
and suspicion... A terrible marketplace which is prone to foster
resentment among consumers when they realize they've been "duped" and
paid a premium over the regular CD!

Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective'
audiophile blog.