RonM wrote:
> I particularly like this quote:
>
> "While the electrical signal in the conductor moves at the speed of
> light, the charge propagation in dielectric material is limited to
> approximately 78 percent of the speed of light. The discharge of the
> dielectric lags behind the charge in the conductor, causing a smearing
> of low-level information in the cable."
>
> So what would the difference be in the time of transmission between the
> conductor and the insulator (dielectric material)?  By my calculations:
>
> On a 2 M cable, the conductor would transmit the signal in
> 0.00000002049233112418 of a second.  The insulator would do so in
> 0.00000001598401827686 of a second, for a difference of
> 0.00000000450831284732 of a second.  Anyone would be able to notice
> that!
>
> For comparison, if you are sitting 3 metres from your speakers, exactly
> between them, but have your head angled slightly so that one ear is 2 cm
> (less than an inch) further away from the speakers than the other, the
> sound would reach the ears .00005821 of a second sooner in one than the
> other.
>
> That is almost 3000 times more of a gap than in the cable example.  It
> illustrates how very important it is to perfectly position yourself
> between the speakers, and ensure that your alignment is perfectly square
> to the baseline between the speakers.
>
> R.
>
> PS - I think there is something wrong in my calculations, since I think
> the relative gap should be closer to 9000 times rather than 3000, but
> you get the idea.  Ludicrous.

Ron you do not seem to understand that calculations and measurements are
only for the non golden eared since anyone with golden ears would have
their ears left bleeding by that 0.00000000450831284732 of a second
difference in the sound.

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos