"A decent sized artwork cache is another matter though."

This I presume must be the issue... Since the BlueSound can handle >65k
tracks, it must not be a 16-bit indexing limitation.

Based on this review:
http://www.audiostream.com/content/bluesound-vault

It looks like the BlueSound Vault only has 256MB of RAM on board and
another 4GB of flash. Since it can handle up to 600KB artwork, I suspect
it must be a limitation of that 4GB flash and size of artwork once you
get to ~80k tracks.

This brings up another issue for me with these music servers, for
~$1000, the hardware looks really weak (come on... let's at least put in
a 16GB flash, huh?). '$6000 servers with ARM/Atom core processor and
Vortexbox'
(http://www.audiostream.com/content/antipodes-reference-series-dx-music-server)?!
That's highway robbery IMO!

Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective'
audiophile blog.