utgg wrote:
> I did say well organised. And I still maintain 100 is reasonable as an
> average - for all those long titles there will plenty of short ones as
> well. No need to store as full unicode - and the strings are readily
> compressible if you want. Artist strings and the like shouldn't be
> stored against every track (and you are doing well if you have a library
> with a million different artists in it...), and there's little point in
> storing any tags in the database that aren't there for searching and
> sorting - if you want to see full tag information on a particular track
> then just look at the file itself.

It isn't....and you just changed the goalposts. Let's take just one
track from my collection:

Artist Name: 65daysofstatic
Track Title: The Distant & Mechanised Glow of Eastern European Dance
Parties
Album Title: The Destruction of Small Ideas

...just broke your reasonable limit and that's without anything
including track number, genre, date, total tracks or any number of other
common fields. yes you have shorter fields but 100 as a reasonable
average, come on I think not. The track title may be slightly longer
than average but the Artist Name and Album Title certainly aren't.

My collection is very well organised thanks.

'last.fm' (http://www.last.fm/user/probedb)