ralphpnj wrote:
> In the world of high end audio the reality is quite a bit different from
> what you state, i.e. it is much that some respected high end audio guru
> (a very polite way to say windbag) claims to have heard a difference and
> all the audiophiles open their wallets. For example the notorious
> jitter, which can be easily measured but rarely heard in a properly
> designed and built non-asynchronous USB signal, but one audiophile guru
> claims to have heard jitter (a claim which the science of human hearing
> capabilities clearly refutes) and every audiophile is off to buy an
> asynchronous USB DAC.
>
> Now going back to one of my earlier posts on this thread - why are we
> having this discussion about USB signal regeneration on this forum when
> there are no Squeezebox devices with USB output? Oh wait because some
> users have -*modified their SB Touches so that the USB input can be used
> as an output for 24bit/192kHz. News flash: humans can't hear ANYTHING
> above 20kHz, except of course for audiophile gurus.*-
>
> And finally, as has been pointed out in several recent threads on this
> forum, many of us here are poor examples of audiophiles. But guess what
> that's because we listen to our music using Squeezeboxes, devices that
> have been damned with faint praise by the audiophile gurus. As far as I
> can tell the only computer based audio system that has been anointed by
> the audiophile gurus is a Mac Mini running Amorta(?) and connected via a
> >$500 USB cable to an asynchronous USB DAC. And this system exists
> because high end audio manufacturer after high end audio manufacturer
> keeps on introducing music streamers and music servers that try to use
> the completely worthless UpnP/DLNA clusterf*&k.

Well there are a number of reports of people differentiating high-res in
Foobar ABX testing which you seem to ignore or are unaware of. This
doesn't mean that they can hear > 20KHz which is just the usual
unthinking objectivists over-simplified mantra.

Here's an '_interesting_thread_'
(https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/850044-foobar-2000-abx-test-redbook-vs-192-24-a.html)
on Gearslutz from 2013 showing positive Foobar ABX logs of a recording
engineer repeatedly being able to differentiate redbook from 24/192 on
different equipment & with different music. It's interesting because his
description of how he did it & what he focused on & how difficult it was
to maintain his focus shows how difficult ABX testing is for this sort
of difference. If you read the thread you will see his comments but I
extract the relevant ones here: