it is also 99% implementation , you can get the best chips ever and
still build a rubbish DAC :) The actual Performance of the Transporter
exceeds those basic spec of the chipset .

Archimago measured like -115dB for the TP
http://archimago.blogspot.se/2013/02/measurements-logitech-transporter.html

And around -105 dB for Touch but worse crosstalk -90 dB

http://archimago.blogspot.se/2013/02/measurements-logitech-squeezebox-touch.html

So how the chip is implemeted is very important .

The diff between these 2 products has more to do with the rest than the
specific dac chip . I say without knowing to much :/ I could be talking
out of my rear end  , but(t) even the most costly of dacs sports silicon
that really don’t cost that much you pay for the rest .

I have never designed a DAC so i think that was it for me ,this is just
a tendency i've seen .

However AKM seems well regarded so what gives ?

If my memory serves me rigth the TP is very close to AKM's reference
implementation and did not Sean Adams had some help from AKM ?
That seem rational and sound to me ,why not ask the guys building the
chips for advice instead of adding more quantum purifiers or whatnot :P
. I think the TP is an endearing product its designed for real world
performance it has what it needs to perform like this . I would expect
much more over-design from the usual suspects in high end audio .

Touch is build for a budget , but still it's much better than first DAC
I owned in early 90's (and so is probably my phone ) so it may be
relatively "compromised" .

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )