I won't pursue this debate any more as it is the usual detrimental to
the forum
To answer questions about my SB device uses - look into my posting
history here to see my SB devices & what I have tried to bring to the SB
community.
Those posts also have some bearing on the OP question in that I
addressed the WM8051 DAC chip in the SB duet & made some changes & mods
to it - going so far as to extract I2S from the SB duet board to feed to
another DAC chip ES9023. Yes, they sounded different & if I can relate
my personal experience - the implementation was the biggest significant
factor in how they sounded but I also sensed a difference in sound
between these two DAC chips.

Nothing scientific, no measurements but there are internal factors to be
considered in DAC chips. In my experience, there is a sonic difference
when the internal ASRC of the ES9023 is operational compared to when it
isn't. Similarly, there is an audible difference between the digital
output filters that can be selected on a PCM5102 DAC chip.