cliveb wrote:
> Wow, I had no idea that relating my little experience would stir up such
> a sh*tstorm of vitriol.
>
> I agree that the "test" I performed could never be described as
> scientifically valid. But can we apply a little common sense here,
> please?
>
> 1. During a sighted comparison, I heard a difference between two DACs.
> 2. During a casual single-blind comparison (when I didn't know which DAC
> was playing), I failed to detect that previously-heard difference.
>
> It seems that jkeny is saying that my casual single-blind test has no
> validity at all. All I can say is that it strikes me as having somewhat
> more validity than a fully sighted test. It says to me that what I
> personally hear is influenced by knowledge of what device is playing.
> And my understanding is that decades of psychological research has
> discovered that the same applies to most people (ie. that I'm not a
> freak in this respect).
>
> jkeny: you're not seriously suggesting that a proper DBT would show that
> those differences heard in (1) above would magically reappear, surely?
> If not, what's your beef?
>
> The audiophile at home is in no position to conduct a scientifically
> valid DBT. So does this mean he should not make any attempt whatsoever
> to try and eliminate non-auditory cues when comparing equipment?

Hi Clive,
I'm glad you asked this question - I wasn't getting at you specifically,
as I believe that we are all fooled by the apparent simplicity of blind
listening & I'm sure we could all do with realising some aspects about
casual blind listening that are of importance. The reason I replied to
your post with my remark about a proper blind test was because what I
see going on in this thread is the usual biased approach by certain
crusaders who forensically dissect every anecdote where a difference
between DACs is reported & yet allow through unquestioningly anecdotes
such as yours that report no difference heard.

>From your post I gleaned that you perceived a more "detailed
presentation" in one DAC Vs another. The reality of psychoacoustics is,
that we can only focus on some small number of aspects in the sound at
any one time. In blind listening we tend towards focussed listening (see
below example). If we haven't already narrowed down our sighted
listening impressions into a much more specific & easily identifiable
audible differences, then we are presenting ourselves with a huge
challenge in doing a blind A/B test & the odds are very much stacked
towards doing no better than random guessing in a blind test. That is
why trained experts are used in blind tests - because they have the
experience to analyse & isolate such nebulous differences as "detailed
presentation" into some more specific component that can be more easily
focussed on in A/B listening.

So, in answer to your question *"jkeny: you're not seriously suggesting
that a proper DBT would show that those differences heard in (1) above
would magically reappear, surely? If not, what's your beef?"* - the
answer is that it requires some effort & some training in order to be
able to pick out the specific differences & to be able to retain focus
during blind A/B listening. Not putting in this necessary effort is more
than likely to return a null result

To illustrate what I'm talking about - here's a recording engineer's
experience of blind A/B testing where he can only differentiate two
samples by listening to sound stage differences. It's a thread from
Gearslutz 2013
_*_Foobar_2000_ABX_Test_-_Redbook_vs_192/24
(\"https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/850044-foobar-2000-abx-test-redbook-vs-192-24-a.html\";)
*_
And some excerpts from his posts to illustrate what I'm talking about