ralphpnj wrote:
> As you keep on repeating "Is this not the 'Audiophiles' section?" and is
> not the Mac Mini (not a Windows laptop) the only audiophile approved way
> to listen to computer based digital audio? So why on earth are you even
> bringing up the subject?

I do not believe that Mac or Windows based laptop storage is going to
deliver the finest sound quality, but there is relevance to this thread
topic.  It isn't clear to me what angers you so much about the
proliferation of the laptop as media server though.  USB DACs are
popular for good reason and hooking up a laptop is easy.  These DACs
continue to get better from both ends and in every way in between.

I'd like to discuss the Antipodes DX or other "digital transport"
devices.  I'd like to discuss their findings on power supply design, for
example.  I'm attracted to the front end where one could have a physical
SACD transport and then something like the Antipodes for audiophile
quality ripping and storage.  Each would send PCM or DSD to a DAC which
may or may not also function as a pre-amp.

ANTIPODES' FOUNDER MARK JENKINS:

"The parts are not necessarily special apart from the power supply
design. It is a bit like a high-end speaker – the parts may not be
special but how the parts work together as a system is where the value
is added.

"People talk about linear power supplies as if one is much the same
as another. With a server most common linear power supply designs don’t
sound any better than a cheap switch-mode power supply, in fact the most
common designs sound worse because of where the noise is placed (in a
frequency sense). And most transformer designs sound terrible if they
are placed inside the server. Our actual transformer and power supply
design are a critical part of the DX.

"The motherboard derives from a standard board that happens to have
the mix of the chips we like, with some minor changes to onboard power
supply. But the big difference with the motherboard is the way it is
tuned. All chipsets generate electronic noise that will interfere in
some way with the signal carrying the digital data, and the level and
frequency of the noise has an audible effect on the analog output of any
DAC. It is easily heard – it just does not fit with the simplistic
accepted digital theory of how these things work.

"So the key to the design is how we tune the chip-set speeds across
the whole server – from power supply through to output card, and the
fundamental technology capability comes from the motherboard
manufacturer that we work with. The insights into where we manage and
place the noise for best sound are our speciality. The effect on the
final outcome is very significant and swapping the standard setup of the
motherboard into the DX brings the sound quality down several notches.

"The motherboard itself uses a quad-core Atom and 4GB of DDR3 RAM.
But other chipset choices on the motherboard are also important. With
RAM, we get people that are worried that we should use more than 4GB,
but they think that more RAM is needed because they are used to
bloat-ware servers (not Linux) where you need a lot of RAM because of
all the activity. We could easily run our servers with 1GB of RAM given
the low level of activity during playback, but the added RAM means we
can cache more of the playlist in RAM for playback directly from RAM and
manage the transfer from disk to RAM in a better and more consistent
way, which does improve sound. Exactly how the files are placed into RAM
and read out of RAM to the audio output is very important to the sound
quality. In reality, in normal use, you won’t hear any difference
between using 2GB and 4GB, but the extra is useful if playing during say
a library rescan or ripping.

"The DX currently uses Samsung SSDs with 3D V-NAND technology, but
we are always testing new drives that come onto the market. Each server
is tuned to work with the particular drives used as each can generate a
slightly different noise spectrum.

"We prefer to use open source software and believe in the eco-system
of SqueezeBox Server and VortexBox as the best way forward (now that
Logitech is out of it). It might not fit the ‘rock star’ mentality in
high-end audio, but there are a number of audio firms that have got
stuck in narrow technology silos by insisting on doing something on
their own.

"In the end open source software is better for the customer. The
software capability of our servers continues to get better, and be
widely supported, with or without us. All of our customisation is at the
script level. There is a lot of customisation involved, but by keeping
it at the script level it can remain proprietary in a Linux license
environment."

INTERESTING!

Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 | Cary Audio SA-200.2 |
Focal Diablo Utopia III
__Acoustic treatment: DIY Cylinder Bass traps | "Rule of Thirds" for
speaker & sweet spot position
__Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Big Silver Oval | Shunyata Venom series
power cords and power conditioning