jh901 wrote:
> So, you've never designed an audio product of any kind?

Well, some of us have. Have you?

> Specifically, have you been involved with the design of audiophile
> speaker cables or component interconnects?

I have been involved with designing transmission systems that transfer
gigabits per second over thousands of miles. To me a speaker cable or
component interconnect doesn't need much "design", all it needs is
application of basic engineering rules.

> If you are an authority, just as Ralph is, then let's hear something
> definitive.  Will cheaply manufactured 'Radio Shack' cables enable a
> component audio system to perform its best?  Any differences in sound
> quality versus audiophile cables?

What the heck is an "authority", and why would it matter?

Apparently (based on numerous listening tests), yes, they perform
perfectly well, and no, there are no differences in sound quality (as
long as we are dealing with competently designed gear).

> As for the topic of this thread, do you have anything to say?  Is it
> meaningful to discuss USB DACs and the related products and accessories
> which have come to market recently?  Are all USB cables the same?  Is
> there any merit to a device such as the Uptone Audio REGEN?.

It might be meaningful to discuss USB DACs, but the only real change in
the last 15 years or so is asynchronous transfer, and most USB DACs don'
t actually take advantage of the possibility of independent clocking
offered by an asynchronous communication mechanism. Not all USB cables
are the same - some are not up to spec and don't actually work. No, you
don' t need reclocking/rebuffering if your devices are competently
designed.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953