Blind faith?  ABX?

Look, I don't expect everyone to run out and drop a few grand on fancy
speaker cables just because I suggest that there's an appreciable
difference.  At the same time, I mean, blind faith!?  I have to ABX or
else it's blind faith?!  My room is not professionally treated but I've
made an effort using cylinder bass traps and "rule of thirds"
positioning.  I have decent gear.  Believe it or not, upgrading 20 times
over the course of several years has a HUGE impact.  When I change
cables now, then I can easily hear differences.  It isn't subtle.  No,
it isn't the same as moving speakers from the corners out to proper
position, but it's dramatic enough that there is no doubt.

So, when we get to DACs, well, the improvement can be extraordinary.  I
can't prove it with the written word.  Any of you can try out some
things for yourself though.  You've got to have a pretty bad room and
bad source material if you can't come up with any improvements.

Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 | Cary Audio SA-200.2 |
Focal Diablo Utopia III
__Acoustic treatment: DIY Cylinder Bass traps | "Rule of Thirds" for
speaker & sweet spot position
__Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Big Silver Oval | Shunyata Venom series
power cords and power conditioning