Julf wrote:
> Pretty much, yes - blind faith in the reliability and repeatability of
> your ear-brain system as a measuring device.
>
> OK, I am over-simplifying here, but when you hear an improvement as a
> result of changing some gear, how do you actually know it is not because
> of being in a slightly better mood that day - or because you know the
> gear cost $15.000, was designed by a famous designer, and praised in the
> audiophile press?

There isn't an explanation that I could give where you're going to say,
"yeah, I get it now".  There just isn't.  I do hope that we can agree
that there is some middle ground between blind faith and measured,
scientific certainty.  When you "hit play" next time that you spin a
familiar recording, don't you have a pretty good idea of how it's going
to sound?  Sure, mood and other factors will impact your relative
enjoyment and one could argue that the sound will be perceived as better
when everything is just right.  But with that said, you are still going
to hear a familiar level of fidelity.  So, what if you take thick
blankets and put them over the speakers?  Your mental state will be
altered because you know that you just did something with should kill
the sound quality.  But don't you think that, irrespective of that, you
can hear a difference from the sound you've been experiencing for months
and years?

Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 | Cary Audio SA-200.2 |
Focal Diablo Utopia III
__Acoustic treatment: DIY Cylinder Bass traps | "Rule of Thirds" for
speaker & sweet spot position
__Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Big Silver Oval | Shunyata Venom series
power cords and power conditioning