jh901 wrote:
> I do hope that we can agree that there is some middle ground between
> blind faith and measured, scientific certainty.

There are things that are quite probable, despite not being absolutely
verified. Then there are things that are extremely unlikely, and violate
known laws of physics. Accepting the later without any sort of actual
evidence would be extreme blind faith. "Extraordinary claims require
extraordinary evidence".

> When you "hit play" next time that you spin a familiar recording, don't
> you have a pretty good idea of how it's going to sound?  Sure, mood and
> other factors will impact your relative enjoyment and one could argue
> that the sound will be perceived as better when everything is just
> right.  But with that said, you are still going to hear a familiar level
> of fidelity.  So, what if you take thick blankets and put them over the
> speakers?  Your mental state will be altered because you know that you
> just did something which should kill the sound quality.  But don't you
> think that, irrespective of that, you can hear a difference from the
> sound you've been experiencing for months and years?

I am pretty sure you often hear a difference when there is a real
difference to hear - the problem is that you can also hear a difference
when there is no actual, physical difference.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953