jh901 wrote:
> Aren't you taking this "how do I know what I know" a little too far?  I
> have practical experience as an audiophile who simply wants to enjoy
> listening to recorded music which is exceptionally reproduced.  I'm not
> making the sort of claims which warrant academic scrutiny.
>

> I'm more interested in the sound quality.  I listen to music and I
> strive for it to sound better.  If there is a design flaw in the
> engineering, then sure, I'll want to know about it.  I spend several
> hours/wk listening to my main system and the last thing I'm thinking
> about is how great the science is.  My recent posts several pages back
> were on-topic and sadly it has not yet been possible to calmly and
> respectfully discuss the topic of digital players today.
>
> Is it wrong to think that you or a few others might actually sit in
> front of a stereo and actually have a reaction to the fidelity?
> Wouldn't there be merit to your description of what was heard,
> irrespective of the inability to scientifically attribute what was heard
> to one component or another?  How would your view change if you listened
> to music on my system only to find that the experience was far more
> engaging than you could have imagined?

I don't think the fidelity or engaging sound of your system is really
the issue that julf is addressing.  While I can't speak for him, I
suspect that he would, indeed, enjoy listening to your system.  And not
only that, but I would also expect that an actual scientific listening
test would reveal that your system sounded different than his
(different, not better or worse, which is subjective).  The question
julf is trying to get at is whether or not you, or me, or anyone else
can actually and reliably, with an unsighted scientific, precisely
controlled listening test, discern any difference at all (again, not
better or worse) between, say, two different brands of speaker wire, or
interconnects, or usb cables, etc. (speakers are typically left out of
this discussion).

Rg

System information
Main: Vortexbox/Squeezelite > USB> Benchmark DAC2 D > LFD LE IV
Signature amp > Revel Performa F208 speakers.

Home Theatre:  Touch (Wired) > Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic
5.1, Touch FW 7.8.0-r16754.

LMS 7.9.0 - 0.71.20150313git1426153261 on a 1TB Micro Vortexbox
Appliance, V 2.3.