jh901 wrote:
> arnyk or others- I reside close enough to Carnegie Mellon and Univ Of
> Pittsburgh that perhaps one of you can help me track down someone
> qualified to set up a proper experiment to objectively determine if I
> can discern between my current speaker cable and a common copper cable
> ("zip cord" or the like).  I don't think it will take much time for a
> couple of qualified Phds to switch cable back and forth on 5 or 10
> agreed upon music selections.  Alternatively, I'd have to call around
> until I figure out who speak with and, of course, then I'll have to
> prove their qualifications.  I'll do the legwork, in other words, but I
> merely need a legit place to start.
>
> Note that I'm not the audiophile equivalent of a master sommelier.  That
> said, in a tightly controlled situation, I submit that I'll pick out my
> cable 8 or 9 out of 10.  Honestly though, I expect to get all 10 (or 5
> or whatever we decide).  I'll be focusing on sibilant passages, but I
> expect to be able to hear any number of shortcomings in the zip cord.

More than happy to - I have old friends at both places. Right now my
network connectivity is a bit spotty as I am travelling in Provence in
France, but as soon as I am back in Amsterdam with proper network
connectivity and spare time, I will contact suitable people - I am sure
they will be able to accommodate you.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953