jh901 wrote:
> Member arnyk is indeed a legend, but I hadn't come across his wisdom
> personally just yet.  I can't comprehend what could drive a person and
> others like him to such lengths.  I'm not going to allow all of the joy
> to be sucked out of life.  There are no doubt passionate hobbyists of
> all sorts who become, well, a bit eccentric or otherwise unhinged.  I
> guess it's easy for arnyk to lump everyone who doesn't fully agree with
> him into that group.  He must be happy though.  I'd love hear his audio
> system and see what music he's interested in.  Same with Ralph.  It's a
> fascinating hobby.

I'm glad you asked. The main elements of all my various audio systems
are listed in my signature, however here the missing details about my
main audio system. In addition to the Transporter I also have:

A McCormack UCP-1 disc player which I only use when doing a full clear
and rescan on LMS

A Linn LP-12 with a Lingo power supply turntable and a Linn Itttok
tonearm. A Grado Reference cartridge and a Grado phono pre-amp (I have
about 3000 LPs however I really don't buy LPs anymore)

The Sim Audio equipment is a P-5002 pre-amp and a W-5 power amp

Interconnects and wires are from an assortment of different
manufacturers and the Transporter is connected to the Sim Audio pre-amp
with balanced cables.

On the whole I think the system sounds pretty damn good.

As for my musical tastes I am a huge jazz fan along I do also listen to
classical and rock music. I have been a die hard jazz for over 40 years
and my knowledge of jazz is very extensive. I like almost all types of
jazz except of smooth jazz (Kenny G makes me physically ill) and my
personal favorite type is free jazz - Cecil Taylor, The Art Ensemble of
Chicago, Coltrane, Ornette Coleman to name a few. Living the greater NYC
area for most of my life has given me the opportunity to see and hear
lots and lots of live jazz over the past 40+ years so I know what live
music sounds like. If you have any questions about jazz feel free to ask
me.

Just like you I assembled my audio system bit by bit over the years and
now that the price of any piece new equipment, be it an amp, pre-amp,
DAC or speakers, that would "improve" the sound of my current system
would cost more than what I paid the whole system I'm pretty much done
playing that game. It's too bad that high end audio has priced so many
people out of the market but hey that's how things are and unless I win
the lottery or something breaks I'll be listening to my current system
for the foreseeable future.

Anyway I haven't been posting much today because I was busy with my
other main hobby (besides music and audio) which is bicycling. Here's
where I rode today:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/8695607

I have several bikes but my two main bikes are a 2105 Trek Domane 5.2
and a 2003 Waterford. The Trek is carbon fiber and the Waterford is
steel, Both have full Shimano Ultegra components. I average around 4,000
miles during each bicycling season, which here in Northern New Jersey
runs from late March through late November.

Yes there is life beyond audio.

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos