ralphpnj wrote:

> First off - those are two truly excellent recordings by two true jazz
> giants.

Indeed.

ralphpnj wrote:

> As for audiophile servers perhaps there should be a discussion about
> whether or not many of these so called servers are actually even servers
> in the Squeezebox sense of server. By Squeezebox sense of server I am
> referring to the following characteristics:
>
> A central server (computer) which is able to stream via Ethernet or WiFi
> to a playback device or devices which are located near and connected to
> stereo system. These devices are capable of displaying information about
> the files being played.
>
> A central server which maintains a well organized database of the files
> in one's music library.
>
> A central server where new files can be added to the music library (and
> database) by several method - direct ripping of a CD/DVD/SACD or
> purchasing a download.
>
> The ability to control the central in many different ways - at the
> playback device, via a computer or smartphone/tablet app.

The hi-end "server" market continues to work itself out.  For me, I want
most of what you suggest except that I want internal storage and a USB
output for use with a USB DAC.  The wi-fi would only be used for tablet
functions.  Seems that Aurender and Antipodes have nice products, but
prices are going to come WAY down while performance gets even better
within another year or two.

I'd also the suggest the same for DACs.  The competition is white hot
and I plan to take advantage in a year or so once the dust has settled.

ralphpnj wrote:

> Now if I am mistaken and there is actually an audiophile server
> presently available that successfully replicates all the functionality
> of the Squeezebox system please let me know. However please do not quote
> me from some review from one of the audiophile publications or from the
> manufacturers literature but rather from an independent source such as a
> user forum or customer review.

User forum feedback and customer reviews are valuable.  Pro reviews have
value also.  None alone will paint the whole picture.  I have a fairly
revealing system by hi-end standards, so I'm in a good position to take
all available info into account and then decide for myself which
products are worth it.

Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 | Cary Audio SA-200.2 |
Focal Diablo Utopia III
__Acoustic treatment: DIY Cylinder Bass traps | "Rule of Thirds" for
speaker & sweet spot position
__Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Big Silver Oval | Shunyata Venom series
power cords and power conditioning