jkeny wrote:
> What devices (not codecs) have you actually differentiated in your blind
> tests thereby giving a statistically significant result?

Only one. Then again I rarely have any reason to do tests on my audio
stuff.  Purchased the Benchmark DAC I years ago. Initially did a single
blind comparison (friend in other room knew which was connected) with
the DAC output (connected to mid-line Dell laptop (XP) via S/PDIF)
compared to the output of the line out of the built in laptop sound
card.  I recall almost 100% ability to detect which was which. Basically
line out of Sound card had lots of "tells".

Fast forward to squeezebox acquisitions. Did Benchmark sound different
than Squeezebox internal DACs? Results reported earlier:  No ability to
reliably detect.   Also, as reported, no ability to reliably detect CD
player vs Squeezeboxes. Never bothered comparing my turntable setup
(which I still enjoy using now and again).

But what does my specific tests on a limited set of devices have to do
with recognition that a vast body of scientific research recognizes that
human beings often make biased (and surprising) choices/judgements when
doing sighted tests (i.e., have knowledge of experimental treatment).
That was my only point.

*Home:* VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio
(all ethernet)
*Cottage:* VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win7(64) > LMS 7.9 > Squeezelite
*Spares:* Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
*Controllers:* iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng8 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or
SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
*Files:* ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes;
Streaming: Spotify