Archimago wrote:
> Well, I'm no rabbi or priest, but I do think there is a place for -faith
> in one's life-. And hopefully in doing so, a better society.
>
> However, we do have to know the limits of faith. I see faith as giving
> us motivation, inspiration, drive, dreams, sense of morality and
> ultimately purpose. But these are high level subjective concepts along
> the lines of "what's your favourite musical genre?" or "what's your
> favourite book?" or "describe the most joyful thing you have ever done"
> or "who do you love most in this world?" Perhaps science can one day
> elucidate the neural mechanisms for these concepts and ideas, but until
> then, nothing wrong with maintaining the wonder and joy around these
> subjective intangibles of what gives us our -personalities-.
>
> I think in a nutshell, this is Stephen Jay Gould's "NOMA"
> (Non-Overlapping Magisteria) concept as he puts it in the book '\"Rocks
> of Ages: Science and Religion in the Fullness of Life\"'
> (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/034545040X/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=034545040X&linkCode=as2&tag=archsmusi-20&linkId=ZJ6SDFEMUJRKBRVC).
> Give to God what is God's and Science what is Science's... (At least in
> terms of framework for understanding and ways of knowing "truth".)
>
> And I think it's pretty fair to say that sound quality as rendered by
> technological machines is well within the "magisterium" of Science. :-)

Very well said!!

Rg

System information
Main: Vortexbox/Squeezelite > USB> Benchmark DAC2 D > LFD LE IV
Signature amp > Revel Performa F208 speakers.

Home Theatre:  Touch (Wired) > Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic
5.1, Touch FW 7.8.0-r16754.

LMS 7.9.0 - 0.71.20150313git1426153261 on a 1TB Micro Vortexbox
Appliance, V 2.3.